Great Resources for Oregon Tenants

Rent Assistance – Shelter – Emergency Services

If you find this information helpful, please consider becoming a member of CAT or making a quick donation right now.

211info.  211 is a one-stop shop for all the community resources and services in Portland and throughout Oregon. 211 has updated information about the availability of rent assistance shelters and emergency services for those in need. You can dial 211 for help locating any community service in the Portland metro area.

Housing Connections is part of 211. Search for affordable, accessible housing in the Portland metro area. They also have a great resource list including the Rent Well and Ready to Rent classes for people with rental barriers. You can dial 211 for help locating any community service in the Portland metro area.

The Rose City Resource Guide, published by StreetRoots, is a guide to public services and assistance programs throughout metro Portland.

Legal Links

Oregon Law Help and Legal Aid Services of Oregon – Questions and answers about tenant-landlord law in easy to understand language. Portland regional office: 503-224-4086 or 1-800-228-6958

Fair Housing Council of Oregon.  Can help with fair housing complaints and investigations. 503-223-8197 ex. 2

Oregon State Bar. Ask for a lawyer specializing in Landlord-Tenant law. The Modest Means program will refer low-income folks to low-cost lawyers. 503-684-3763 or 1-800-452-7636

Disability Rights Oregon. Legal help for people with disabilities. Check out their Fair Housing Handbook. 503-243-2081 or 1-800-452-6294

Bureau of Oregon Labor and Industry (BOLI) can help tenants file a formal fair housing complaint. 971-673-0761

City and County Inspections Programs – If your landlord refuses to make repairs

City of Portland.      Title 29 is Portland’s housing code. 503-823-2633

City of Gresham. The City conducts random mandatory inspections throughout the year on residential rental properties within Gresham. 503-618-2248

City of Tigard. Tigard does not currently accept code violations over the phone. You can file a complaint online or they can send you a form through the mail. 503-718-2441

City of Salem. 503-588-6421

City of Eugene. Eugene asks for inspections requests in writing. 541-682-8282

City of Corvallis. Rental Housing Program. 541-766-6944

City of Tualatin. 503-691-4822

City of Monmouth. Monmouth Building Department. 503-751-0138


Lead Hotline.  Serves Multnomah County and the rest of Oregon as well. Lead in the home (paint, pipes etc.) can be especially dangerous for young children. 503-988-4000

Bedbug Hotline Serves Multnomah County and the rest of Oregon as well.  503-988-2847

Mold Relocation Assistance for residents of Portland. The City of Portland offers financial assistance to low-income tenants who are experiencing health issues related to mold in the home. Call the Renters Rights Hotline for more information. 503-288-0130